Sunday, January 11, 2009

2009 so far

I had my first productive night of Baxi-ing last night in quite some time.  It came as something of a relief actually, lifting me up a little out of my rut.  Things in the past few weeks have been a little shaky, topping out with only one day of relief teaching last week, a two day cancellation to start this next one, and an improbably unlucky night on the trike this Friday.  I gave precisely two rides the whole night, only getting paid for one, as I watched every other tricyclist in our five man armada pull in a comfortable $100.  To make matters worse, our water was shut off that night by some prankster kids.  It was rough, and I woke up Saturday morning grumpy and a little short with my roommates, only to be the one who dealt with the plumbing.

But like I said, I make a bit of money Saturday night, and have been moving under some more favorable winds today.  I also went with Ben to the farmer's market, which is always an uplifting time.  Something about fresh produce.  That word itself suggests the feeling I get: productive.  We shopped around a bit with a discriminating eye, looking for good prices and quality fruit, and paid for our stuff with the loose change that builds up after a few nights of Baxi work.  When we got home, we stocked the shelves full of wholesome food, and this particular Sunday, I made waffles with strawberries, blueberries, cherries, bananas and whipped cream.

And so I am documenting this swing of events.  When things don't go one's way for a long time, it's easy to get down, especially for we Scharf boys.  And though I was making a very conscious effort to actively and positively change those things which I have some control over, it's nice to have those things that are out of my control come up in my favor.  

1 comment: