Friday, February 27, 2009

Hiatus Continued

Well, here are some updates. First: Joey, Scooter, and I went to Boutique Beach, a tournament in Hawke’s Bay. It was a hat tournament with 6 teams, 6-7 people per team. The level of ultimate was mediocre at best, with several people coming to play for the first time in their lives, but still fun. The beach lets you throw your body around plenty so even though the skills were shitty, we all got to lay out grab/d enough to make it fun. I however pulled a back muscle on Sunday, which left me pretty much in the prone position for hours. I finally managed to do a little standing and walking, and after several more days, am mostly back to normal. Has been a frustrating and somewhat painful recovery though. Reminiscent of my back injuries in the spring of 2007, I place blame on my throwing lots and lots of hard-as-I-can hucks post-tournament play on Saturday. But I’m getting caught up in the tournament. I’ll write about that later.
Second: Cyle is currently being fixed. Joey and I at the reins, we managed to transfer the mechanical breakdown insurance that Previous Owner had on Cyle to our name (my name) and successfully file a claim. This procedure all came about because we needed to figure out how not to the pay the $1500-2000 expected fee for putting in a second-hand motor to fix a broken cam shaft. As it turns out, the whole thing will likely cost $2400, with Drive Right, the insurer, picking up $1750 of the tab. A win, we think. Now, Joey and I are simply waiting for the job to be completed.
Third: Here’s where we’re waiting. Stuck in Hawke’s Bay after the tournament, me with a bad back, Joey and I explored some options. Initially, he though he might work on the vineyard again with Scoot, but that kinda left me screwed, since there might not be work for me, and my back sucked, so he abandoned that, which was very considerate. We ended up spending a day in Napier, figuring stuff out and letting me rest for a day. We crashed at a nice enough hostel for two nights, and decided to try and find a local solution, since the beach neighborhood wasn’t too bad. We decided to email pretty much all the reasonable WWOOFing spots in the area, and got a positive response (as well as many many negative ones). The place we got hooked up with is a B & B near Waipukurau. It’s a sweet gig actually, we work from 8 to 1 roughly each day, and have the rest of the time off to use the amenities of a luxury B & B (tennis courts, billiard table, pool, fruit trees, beach, etc.). It has been a comfortable and cheap way to spend the week while we finished the details with Cyle. We are not waiting out his rebirth. Also, there is a wedding here tomorrow, which will be fun to see/be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment