Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pineapple

I am now back in Tucson, and though many of the people that made this place so special are still off on their own travels, it's nice to feel at home.

Today I made some grilled pineapple with ginger, cayenne, and cinnamon on it that is delicious.

Monday I begin teaching students algebra at summer school, where I may very well be in over my head for a while. Hopefully I'll get the hang it of quickly, and maybe by the end of the 6 week course the students will even have learned a thing or two that sticks with them for a while.

In addition, I am taking a welding class from Pima Community College, which is going to be interesting. It's geared more towards industrial style welding and won't quite reach the level of bicycle building, but it's an interesting and useful first step in that direction, and perhaps after I'm done I'll be at a place where I can learn the rest through practice, and won't need many more classes.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful news! You seem to have a good balance in life these days. I'm interested to hear about how the summer goes. I hope you find that teaching suits you, that you get some semblance of enjoyment from it - or, if you learn it's not for you, then you can cross that off the list or tweak your direction a bit. Either way, you learn something about yourself, right? It's all relevant. And the welding class sounds like a good primer, a jumping-off point that will certainly be a great knowledge base to have. Maybe you can hone those skills into custom-design with bikes? I know that's huge here in Portland. Lots of shops are popping up these days geared towards custom rides or add-ons (messenger/transport bikes, weird/ novelty bikes, etc).

    Did you see how I sneakily dropped Portland in there? Just mentioning it.

    Take care, friend.

    ReplyDelete